Monday, September 3, 2012

Half Marathon

One thing on my list of 25 things to accomplish before I turned 25 was running a half marathon.  Well, I did it.  I didn't do it well, and I did it a month after I turned 25, but I did it.  Before I turned 25, however, I committed to running a second half marathon.  This December I will be running a half marathon in Las Vegas.

One of my very best friends, Heather Palmer, asked me to run the race with her.  The half marathon is part of the Rock n Roll series and will raise money to support Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America, a cause very near and dear to Heather's heart, and now mine.

Heather and I were best friends before we even had a choice!

In 2003 Heather was diagnosed with Crohn's disease.  At the time I knew nothing about the disease.  Over the years I have seen Heather endure flare up after flare up and her medications become stronger and stronger.  Just this afternoon she told me that it is official, she will be undergoing surgery for the disease next month.

Last month her younger sister Cici was also diagnosed with Crohn's disease.

When I agreed to run this race and raise money I was doing it to help a good cause.  I know how much the organization means to Heather and I wanted to be there to support her.  In just three months since I agreed to run, the race means so much more to me now.

Last week I started training for the race with the Madison team.  I wish I was able to train with Heather and her team, but texting her after my runs will have to suffice.  Together we will run in Las Vegas rocking matching outfits, as we have done for as long as we can remember.

Denim dresses: one of our matching outfits over the years.  We'll be bringing back the trend for the race.

If you feel so inclined, visit my fundraising page and donate to CCFA.  All donations will be greatly appreciated.

Last November in Thailand.

An orchid garden in Thailand


No comments:

Post a Comment