Wednesday, September 5, 2012

How do adults make friends?

I'm trying really, really hard, but at the end of the day, I'm all alone.

Moving to a new city is very challenging.  I don't have any friends.  I have been through more emotional highs and lows than one would experience on a roller coaster.

Last week was great!  I was very busy.  I had rowing in the mornings, an ice cream date with coworkers, trivia night, and an online dating date

I was thrilled for the long weekend and the prospect of sleeping in and relaxing.  Saturday morning I rowed, took Wilbur for a long walk and then treated myself to a Groupon pedicure.  Immediately after my pedicure I went to buy myself speakers for my apartment.  Unfortunately, I walked into Old Navy first.  There were tons of sales going on (and a very attractive employee encouraging me to try on more items) and I got a little carried away.  Needless to say, I am still using my computer speakers to listen to music, but I am rockin' a great new top right now.

After my little shopping spree I headed to Capitol Square to work at Taste of Madison.  I was volunteering with the Jaycees at one of the beer tents.  I had researched the group at my mother's recommendation and signed up for the first activity I could.  I showed up to the beer tent in an awesome new pair of pants ready to serve some beer, enjoy the vocal stylings of Mr. Kix Brooks of Brooks and Dunn, and meet some new friends. 

Four hours later I had a minor crush on a repeat beer buyer with a perfect smile, and plans for an evening out with the Jaycees.  We traveled in a pack to a nearby brew pub for cheese curds and beer before going to the one and only nightclub in town, if you could even call it that.  I walked home a little after midnight to find Wilbur sleeping on my bed.  His plan for me to come home too late and too inebriated to notice was a failure, and he was immediately scolded and sent to his own bed.

The next morning I pried the pup out of his bed and for a walk so I could report to half marathon training before 9 am.  I ran my prescribed 4 miles and hung around for a while after the run in hopes of sparking an amazing friendship with one of my fellow trainees.  I was home before 11 am without any new BFFs. 

Wilbur and I took another walk, sans headphones and sunglasses, with the intention of locking eyes with anyone awesome and starting a great conversation, and naturally, a lifelong friendship.

We were home within an hour.

I vacuumed my apartment, cleaned my bathroom and kitchen, listened to music from my telephone horn and eventually got ready for the Day Before Labor Day Barbecue I was invited to.

An iPhone horn.  It only costs about $5 and it is really awesome.  If you can't control your spending at Old Navy and therefore don't buy yourself real speakers, I highly recommend this.  It's also really great for using in the bathroom when you take a shower. 


With the top down and my passenger seat empty I sang my heart out all the way to the middle of nowhere for the barbecue.  I brought my standard brownies and impressed the crowd with my Wisconsin beer.  Beer chicken, buffalo dip, tomato mozzarella salad, and many conversations later, I drove home.

Monday morning I was ecstatic to wake up, see the clock read 6:04 am and turn over.  After 10 am I jumped out of bed with the excitement of a child on Christmas morning.  With nothing on the agenda and an amazing night of sleep under my belt, the day was destined for greatness.  Wilbur and I walked the long way to the dog park.  No amazing connections were made on the way there, but the small pack of humans at the park looked promising. 

While awkwardly standing and watching our dogs sniff each other's butts, we humans laughed and made small talk.  My phone buzzed in my pocket.  A text message.

Heather sent a mass text that her surgery was scheduled. 

I hadn't finished reading when the only person that regularly calls me started flashing across my screen.

"Hi, Mom."

I clipped the leash to Wilbur and we left the park. 

After my mom accompanied me on my walk home and asked me more questions about Heather's surgery than I could answer, I was back in my air conditioned apartment and all alone again. 

I spoke to Heather just last week and she told me surgery was the next step, but having a date scheduled made it real.  My heart hurt.  My heart hurt for Heather.  I wanted a distraction from my racing head and hurting heart, but I didn't have one.  My day was open, and I was all alone in Madison.  I am always alone in Madison.

So this is where I ask for audience participation!  How is an adult to make friends in a new city?  I have been trying all sorts of things and I still haven't found that person or those people, so any advice will be welcomed with open arms.  How am I to make friends?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Meaghan! So I totally read your blog, yep, I'm a blog stalker. :) Anyways, I've found myself in your shoes a couple times since Tulsa (most recently this summer when we moved to Tennessee), and something that really helped this time around was a site/app called Meetup. I'm not sure if it's just because I have a kid now or what, but I joined a group on there and have made quite a few friends already (granted, no best friends... yet). I would suggest checking it out and seeing if there are any groups in your area with similar interests as you. Making friends is always the hardest part of moving, I think!


    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, thank you! Thank you so much, Chelsea! I really appreciate this and I am going to check it out! Hope all is going well for you in Tennessee, and congrats on making friends!

      Delete
  2. That's really funny. I was going to send you this link: http://singles.meetup.com/cities/us/wi/madison/?psize=30&radius=10.0&events=true&show=results (And then I saw Chelsea's comment).

    That being said, it sounds like you are already doing a lot, and good friendships will come from all of those things that you are doing already. Maybe you won't hit it off with someone right away that first time at things like the Jaycees events or hanging out with co-workers, but sometimes it takes a few times to really figure out how you connect with people. Also, you never know when you'll hang out with someone, meet one of their friends, and then that might be where the real connection comes from.

    Just hang in there. There are lots of folks in Madison who will be lucky enough to have you as a friend soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww Stephen, you are a sweet cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Between now and Election Day politics is definitely a way to get involved with lots of people. Ann Landers type advice columnists always advise volunteering in causes you're attracted to.And coincidentally, an advice columnist over the weekend recommended "meetup".
    Can you start a"From New York Club" or any such thing at Epic?

    ReplyDelete