Saturday, June 2, 2012

I WILL make friends!

In my search for a new car my dad keeps reminding me of the Saab that is sitting in the driveway.  Garvey just bought himself a car, and my dad will be leaving the country for the year, which puts my parents in possession of too many cars and not enough drivers.  The plan was to sell the Saab, but my dad can't seem to part with it, and has offered it to me on multiple occasions.

Now please don't think of me as a spoiled brat for turning it down, but I have my reasons.  For one, I was really excited to buy myself a car!  This is the first time in my life that I will be making a significant purchase- like a car.  This is also the first time that I have had a significant enough salary to make such a purchase.

But, there is another reason.  While I was shopping for cars I made a list of my non- negotiables.  On the top of that list is four doors. After driving the Saab, and being a passenger in countless other two door cars, I know what a hassle they can be.  The massive doors, the seats that must be flipped, the seatbelts that are at the most awkward angle ever, and I could go on.  But as I attempted to explain this to my sister she said, "Meaghan, what do you really care about having to flip the seats for people to get in the back? It's not like you have any friends in Madison that you'll be driving around!"  I further explained the hassle by saying that just putting groceries or anything in the back seat cannot be done without flipping the seats.  When I realized that she wasn't going to understand I said, "you don't even have your license!   You wouldn't understand."  I walked away from the conversation feeling a bit down.  I do have one friend in Madison, but I fully intend to make more.  And Erin had only reaffirmed one of the things that make it hard to move to a new place: the lack of friends and family.

Two weeks later when the topic of the Saab came up with my dad, he again urged me to take the car.  I told him I would consider it, but I was still hesitant.  I again explained my dislike for two-door cars.  He looked at me sideways, as in, what is wrong with only two doors?  I then went into my spiel about friends getting into the back and having to get out of the driver's seat and flip the seat for passengers.  My dad chuckled and said, "but you don't have any friends in Madison!  Who are you driving around in the car?!"  This time I snapped.

"I do have a friend!  Caitlin lives there!  And seriously?  It's a new town, of course I don't have a ton of friends!  But do you really think I won't make any friends?  I have every intention to have a ton of friends there!  And I intend to have them be passengers in my car!"

And with that, our conversation was over.

As more time has passed, I have decided to take the Saab.  If the car is really just going to be sold, I might as well take it, right?  And, even though it isn't my dream car, it is pretty great.  The car is also Wilbur's favorite, because he can open the window with his paw.  (Thank goodness for child safety locks!)  I have plenty years of life left to have my dream car, or more appropriately, dream cars.

On June 26th Wilbur and I are heading west in the Saab.  Hopefully the top will be down and the weather will be perfect for our ride.  And when I arrive in Madison I will be thrilled to jump out of my seat to let passengers into the back!  By George, I am going to make friends... lots of them!  The more the merrier!  Anyone want to be my friend in Madison?

No comments:

Post a Comment