Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Beachin’ it, like I have never beached it before

Just before we left for the airport I decided to check online about flooding issues.  Thank goodness I did, because our flights were moved from the domestic airport to the international airport.  I called the airline, and they assured me that the flight would be at the same time, just moved to Suvarnabhumi.
We piled into a cab with a meter, and went to the airport.  It was a madhouse.  The airline was not prepared to be operating out of Suvarnabhumi, so all of the staff was uncomfortable with the equipment, computers and the facilities.  Within fifteen minutes we were checked in, so I was pleased.  Then I looked at the boarding passes.  Our flight had already been delayed two hours!  The woman hadn’t even told me when we checked in!  I went to information, and no, there wasn’t a mistake, our flight was delayed.  Ann and Heather were still calm, so I was as well.

Fast forward.  Our flight that was supposed to leave at one o’clock didn’t take off until 9:15 pm!  I was livid, but somehow we made it work.  We laughed for most of the afternoon, played with Photo Booth on Ann’s ipad, and took turns going to buy snacks.  We also found a wai-ing Ronald McDonald, and Ann was able to check the photo off of her Thailand bucket list.  It was definitely a rough afternoon, but once again, Heather and Ann were troopers.


We arrived at our resort in Phuket after 11 pm, and exhausted.  Our room was totally bizarre, but we were too tired to worry about it.

The very odd layout of our room- beds backing up to the open bathroom.  

The next day we woke up to the most beautiful beach in Phuket.  White sands, crystal clear blue waters, and service like I have never experienced before.


Trying not to sound ungrateful, let me explain how my family “did vacation.”  We didn’t order room service, it was always overpriced and never very good.  We also never stayed at resort-y places.  We stayed at hotels and then went outside to do activities.  I have always loved family vacations, and I guarantee that someday my kids will grow up without room service and resorts, and they too, will be just fine.  But, I have to admit, my vacation with Ann and Heather was quite a treat.

In Phuket we had five swimming pools, countless restaurants and a very long stretch of beach at our disposal.  On the first day we ended up sitting poolside, having fancy drinks, food, massages and pedicures by the pool.  I kid you not.  As I sat in a pool lounge chair, drinking a drink out of a pineapple, and reading my book, I got a massage and a pedicure.  You can’t make this stuff up.




We spent three days relaxing in the sun and living the life on the beach.  One morning we went into the Old Town and explored the local market.  It was filled with meat, fish, spices, produce, and just about every smell, good or bad, that you can imagine.  Heather struggled.



Pig feet for Gary

During the evenings we explored the nightlife of Phuket, giving Ann and Heather a firsthand look at the seedy underbelly of Thailand.  Read: we saw a ping pong show.


People watching.  One of our favorite pastimes. 

Buying DVDs in Phuket


Photos from our ride home in a tuk tuk that looked like it had just come from "Pimp My Tuk Tuk"


No comments:

Post a Comment