Friday, December 2, 2011

Koh Phi Phi never gets old

I have been to Koh Phi Phi five times now.  And, if you asked me to be your guide, I would go again in a heartbeat! 
After three days of beaching it in Phuket, we changed locales.  We piled into a van and then took a ferry to Koh Phi Phi, the same island I took my family to.


Passing time on the ferry


The hotel was more rundown than we expected, but it was still Koh Phi Phi, and it was still stunning.







We did some pool lounging and headed to the beach in the evening to watch the fire show.  After, we went for a late dinner where Heather and I split a pitcher of beer and Aunt Ann order a “bucket.”  Except, at this restaurant, the bucket was a pitcher.  


Don’t worry, she didn’t finish it.
The next day we had an adequate breakfast, did some shopping, and I returned to the room to get ready to meet a certain boy for lunch.  Yes, the tall blonde man from Cambodia came to Koh Phi Phi.  But, as I have said before, you still aren’t old enough for that story.
This was the dance I did before lunch

We spent the afternoon and evening at the pool, followed by drinks at a reggae bar on the beach.  Before getting ready for the evening, we bought our tickets for a snorkel trip the next day.



That night we experienced the nightlife of Koh Phi Phi the way it should be experienced: with buckets.  Buckets are literally sand pails, with handles, filled with mixed drinks and lots of straws.  We started the evening with 3 for 1 buckets at a bar where we took full advantage of the chalk provided.  Notice the names and the hashtags.



From there we went for round two of the fire show.  

And then we danced.

The next day we went on the snorkel trip, and nursed our hangovers.  Some of us dealt with the hangovers better than others...





Our last night on the island, we decided to lay low.  We went out for a quiet Italian meal on the beach.


And after Heather seriously debated getting a tattoo, but decided against it, we went to the fish spa.  I have major issues with my feet, especially people or things touching my feet, so I struggled through every second of the twenty minute treatment.  Can you tell by my face?



We took the early ferry the next morning and a flight back to Bangkok.  Once again, our flight was delayed, but only by about fifty minutes.  I was even more concerned about this trip to Bangkok, as the flooding seemed to be getting worse, but Chinatown was perfectly fine.  There were sandbags and makeshift walls in front of stores, but not a drop of water on the streets.
We stayed in a funky boutique hotel in the heart of Chinatown.


We had authentic street food for the last of the Palmers’ Thai experiences.  Heather even ordered some of the food on her own! 



After dinner and a trip back to the tailor, we set up the room for a photo of our purchases.  We laid out everything that had been purchased during the visit, impressing ourselves by the sheer quantity of items.



The next morning Heather and Ann left at the crack of dawn.  I enjoyed the hotel breakfast, as much as one can enjoy breakfast alone, took a long shower, and packed my bag to go back to Khon Kaen.
I had a wonderful ten days with Heather and Aunt Ann, and I am still so thrilled they came to visit.  It was a blessing to be able to share a place that means so much to me with people who mean so much to me.  Aunt Ann and Heather, thank you!  It was wonderful! #thaimemories    

No comments:

Post a Comment