Monday, December 26, 2011

Things I learned while living in Thailand- Part Twelve

I love dressing conservatively.
When I first started working at the school and learned that my shoulders and knees needed to be covered I was not pleased.  Did the school even realize how darn hot it was outside?  How was I to cover my shoulders and knees without drenching my outfit in sweat by second period?  It didn’t matter, it was a rule, and I followed it.
I also soon learned that the shoulder and knee rule applied to life in general in Khon Kaen.  With very few foreigners, and even fewer foreign women, it was in my best interest to keep myself covered up.  I was more relaxed with my friends, or when it was especially hot outside, but I still kept my outfits very modest.  If it was hot enough to wear a tank top (over 98 degrees) I would wear capris or a long skirt to keep my knees covered.  If I wore shorts, I always wore a high neck shirt that covered my shoulders.  
When I went home the first time, last October, I thought I would be excited to not worry about what I wore. I was right, I enjoyed not worrying.  But, I also enjoyed dressing conservatively.  I liked being covered up.  It wasn’t a rule that only pertained to Thailand anymore, it was the way I liked dressing.    My friend Dave mocked me one night when we took a trip to the bars downtown.  He asked me if I got enough Vitamin D because my fingertips were the only part of my body that was exposed.  And, he was completely accurate.  My wrists and ankles were covered, and my shirt had a crew neck.
Since that trip I have been back and forth many times, and my personal modest dress code remains in place.  My sister is appalled at my lack of style, but I have my own reasons to be appalled by her outfit choices.  To each her own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment