Thursday, December 15, 2011

Things I learned while living in Thailand- Part Four


I will miss the ingenuity of Thai people.
Whether a car needs to be fixed with a twist tie, a leaky roof with bubble gum, or a fence with a coat hanger, a Thai person will figure it out.  Or, are you hungry?  Someone will be more than happy to jump in the pond behind New’s house to gather some snails and catch a few fish to grill.  
No matter what the problem is, the Thai people will fix it with whatever is readily available.  And often, what is readily available is pretty limited.
My favorite little tricks, however, are those that are used with some regularity.  Opening a beer bottle without a bottle opener?  No problem.  Ask me to demonstrate sometime, I have plenty of Thai party tricks.  And my other favorite is music.  No speaker system?  No problem.  Stick a cell phone in a glass, and it is an instant speaker.  Sticking the makeshift speaker in a nearby tree is even better!

Freshly found snails for dinner.


And a homemade speaker in a tree.  Surround sound- Thai style.

No comments:

Post a Comment