Saturday, December 24, 2011

Things I learned while living in Thailand- Part Eleven


I want to open a bakery.
It always felt like a dream.  The idea of opening a bakery seemed so grandiose.  Before I left for Thailand the idea was nothing more than that, an idea.  It felt impractical and silly in a lot of ways.  Even though I loved to bake, I knew I needed a profession, and the baking would be a hobby.
Of course, I couldn’t get through my time overseas without baking, so I purchased an oven.  And a mixer.  And a blender and a food processor.  I bought wooden spoons, spatulas, graters, peelers, knives, mixing bowls, cutting boards, measuring cups, oh gosh, the money I spent!  But, I was loving every second of baking, just as I always had.  Every time I baked, I would bring the treats into school.  Of course, all of my male coworkers, who had spent way too much time in Thailand, ate everything I brought in.  Thailand does spicy food, noodles and meat exceptionally well, but baked goods are another story.  Every brownie, muffin, cake and bread that I brought into the staff room was devoured, and I was showered with compliments.  I thought nothing of them.  Of course the chocolate chip cookies tasted delicious- you haven’t had a half- decent cookie in more than six years!
As I continued to try new things, and I continued to rake in the praise, I continued to think about a bakery.  But still, not seriously.
When my coworker, David, and probably my biggest baked goods fan, asked me about selling what I baked, I thought he was joking.  It was only a matter of days from when he suggested it, I brought a few things into a nearby coffee shop, and I was hired.  The owner of the coffee shop would take whatever I felt like baking, and charge whatever prices I decided on.  Then, she would keep 10%, and I would walk away with 90%.  
The first pan of brownies I brought in sold out in two days.  
It never mattered how many tests I had to grade, how many hours I had to teach after school, or how many errands I had to run, when I received a text message saying that something was sold out in the coffee shop, I baked that evening.  It was my way of relaxing.  I looked forward to it.
It didn’t take long for David to start asking me about opening my own bakery.  Keith chimed in with his support.  Paul and Andy were convinced I could do it.  And, the wheels started spinning.  
I have an ongoing list of ideas for my dream bakery open on my desktop.  And, while I still like the practical career path of being a teacher, my bakery will be awesome.... Someday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment