Friday, December 30, 2011

Things I learned while living in Thailand- Part Fourteen

Living in the same time zone as friends and family is a blessing.
Time differences are a pain.  After school I would always have the motivation to call friends.  But, not so fast, Meaghan.  It is 4:30 am at home.  Can’t call now.  So I would wait.  But by the time 7:00 am rolled around to catch people before work, I was out to dinner.  And the opportunity was lost.  The twelve hour difference with the east coast was frustrating, but at least it was easy to compute.  The west coast was a different story.  I had to start with the time on the east coast and then subtract another three hours.  I finally found the perfect window from 10:00- 10:30 pm to call Bri while she drove to work (7:00 am- 7:30 am).  Unfortunately, we only had this figured out for the last month or so of my time in Thailand.  
Then there was daylight savings time.  I was usually okay with the 11 hour difference, but I did have a few mishaps.  I called my mother at 5:00 am, when I thought it was 7:00 am.  Whoops.  
And weekends were also a pain.  Sunday mornings were a great time to talk to friends on the phone, but all of my friends in the US were still out, enjoying their Saturday nights.  Phone calls from Thailand to a noisy bar in the US?  Impossible.  
My few weeks in New Zealand were even more frustrating.  An 18 hour difference?  No, thank you.
I love that I don’t have to schedule phone calls now.  I don’t have to do math to figure out what time it is for someone else.  It’s almost too easy, and I’m loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment