Saturday, March 17, 2012

Am I too nice?

Am I too nice?

After my crazy day of Wal Mart greeting, hotel drop offs and car loading, my boss, Phillipe, was kind enough to drive me home. He lives near Wall Street and said that the least he could do was drive me to my apartment after my 14+ hour day. As it turned out, he didn't drive. I drove myself home, while he rode in the passenger seat.

As I drove through the city at 10:30 pm the roads were still littered with idiots. I was being cut off here, there and everywhere. Bicyclists were riding the wrong way down one-way streets. Cabs were cutting across three lanes and jamming on their brakes to pick up or drop off passengers. Every time it happened I slammed on my brakes, put on my blinker, checked my mirrors and went around them.

I could tell Phillipe was becoming frustrated as he muttered inappropriate language under his breath.

When we were on Houston, and about halfway home, Phillipe turned to me and said, "if I were driving I would be on the horn, careening around these people and giving them the finger!" With that, he flipped off the person who had just cut me off while I passed him. Then he said, "I think you are too nice. How do you stay so calm?" I was taken back by his comment but simply replied, "I'm nice because I haven't been driving here long enough" Phillipe chuckled and said, "don't worry, I'll teach you how to drive here."

We drove for the last part of the trip discussing the NY Auto Show and the dates he would need me to work. We discussed baking, which I recently discovered is a passion that we share, until I parked in front of my apartment building. We said goodnight, he jumped into the driver's seat- anger and all- and I went inside.

Was he right? Am I too nice? Is there even such a thing?

Even while we discussed baking, I had been distracted by his comment.  Being nice is good, but when does too much of a good thing become bad thing?

Phillipe seemed to think I was too nice because of my attitude while driving through the city and the way I had carried myself all day.  I was required to drive a few guests around the block, which is ridiculous, but I did it with a smile on my face.  It's my job for goodness sakes!  I wasn't going to put up a fuss about it.  When I had to drive two cases of wine around the block and make a grocery store run I did those things with a smile on my face as well.  Like I said, it was my job.  I like my job.  I like my bosses.  I like the people I work with.  Why should I not be nice?  But, all day long Phillipe thought I was being too nice.

Am I just nicer than him, and therefore he notices it?  Or am I really too nice?  Am I leaving the door open to be taken advantage of?  I honestly don't know.  But, I do know that I'm not going to start swearing at other drivers in NYC.

Not yet, at least.

1 comment:

  1. You are perfectly, awesomely nice. I love you very much! And you tell a great story!

    ReplyDelete