Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Must. Go. Shopping.

I have to go shopping.

While living in Thailand I managed to acquire a pretty extensive summer wardrobe.  I also managed to ruin a pretty extensive summer wardrobe.  With dirty water, really bad washing machines, lots of sunlight and LOTS of sweat, most of my clothes are ruined.

I dreaded the idea of coming back to a New York winter, but I was ecstatic to rediscover my winter wardrobe.  The novelty of that wore off pretty quickly.  I had forgotten all of the cleaning up and clearing out I did before I left for Thailand.  My extensive wardrobe that I was psyched to pick through, had been whittled down to three Rubbermaid bins.  After collecting the stolen items from Erin's closet, I was still unimpressed, but I made do.

Now, I'm running on the bare essentials.  Yes, I just bought too many pairs of heels, which was probably a little silly, but they definitely weren't expensive, and they were my I-got-a-job treat!

Since I have lived in New York I have thrown away two pairs of jeans, one pair of sweat pants and one pair of pajama pants.  I have also thrown away three different shirts and three pairs of flats.  I promise, none of these things could have been donated to anywhere other than the trash.  They were horrible, and had to be thrown away.

And here I am, without much of a wardrobe at all.  This past weekend I went home and switched clothes from New York with clothes I have in Saratoga, but it still won't do the job.  I need to go shopping.

Most of you are probably thinking, okay, stop talking about it, just do it!  Just buy yourself some clothes already!  Here is the problem: I hate shopping.  Hate with a capital "h."  I'm not even going to sugar coat it and use strongly dislike.  I hate it.

Fortunately, I have discovered the beauty of online shopping.  Zappos, for example has free return shipping and returns are allowed for 365 days!  And, with my new sneaker purchase and buying two dresses for Liz's party, I am now a VIP Zappos shopper.  I have to use a special website and everything!  And now I always get free one day shipping. This is the perfect way for me to shop!  Forget real stores, I'm going to become an online shopaholic.  Okay, that's dangerous.  I'll just do my best to not despise shopping.  And I think online might be my golden ticket!

2 comments:

  1. Have you heard of RentTheRunway.com? If you have any weddings coming up that you need dresses for you can rent them through the website, and they send you two sizes so that you can be sure it fits. Then you just send it back after you use it. You can get designer dresses for like $10 instead of buying a $400 dress that you'd only wear once. Only somewhat related to what you're talking about, but worth checking out. I know about these things because of my beautiful wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew, Stephen, glad you clarified how you know about these things!

    Meaghan, I am looking forward to getting my closet cleared out before I go away. Mom hates my boring dress shirts and I thought some were ready to retire myself. Interestingly, I have had four dress shirts crap out on me in the last month with the typical "hole in the elbow". So I guess it's been natural attrition, but the timing has been almost eerie. I hope the sweat, sun, and washing machines will be more forgiving to me in Abu Dhabi than they were for you in Khon Kaen. I know one thing....I'm not going to be getting full folded laundry service for a month for $15! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete