Monday, April 9, 2012

Podcast Junkie

I'm a self- proclaimed podcast junkie.  I love them.

I began getting hooked on them in Thailand.  Without the radio, it was a good way for me to keep up with the news.  Then I took it a step further, and I began to listen to a variety of podcasts.  I loved listening to the podcasts because I missed talk radio.  Gasp!

Now I regularly listen to "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!", "This American Life", "WTF with Marc Maron" and the NPR News App.  You have probably heard of most of those podcasts, because if I know my audience, I know that you all know what station NPR is in your area.  The one podcast you may not have heard of is "WTF with Marc Maron."  Yes, WTF stands for what you think it stands for.  Yes, there is a lot of f-bombing on the show.  No, I would not have ever thought I would like the podcast.

I used to listen to the podcasts on Sunday mornings and in the evenings when I would walk Manao around the lake.  Oh, I miss Manao....




And I miss Wilbur.

One day on the iTunes store I saw that one of the top 10 shows was "WTF."  I read the information, learning that Marc Maron is a comedian who interviews people who are also involved in comedy, in some way or another.  He has episodes with Dane Cook, Jimmy Fallon, Jason Sudeikis, Jon Hamm, Amy Poehler, and the list goes on.  I listened to the first episode, and I was immediately hooked.  Even though the language is far more inappropriate than I like to admit listening to, it is a great show.  I love listening to the guests' stories about their rise to fame.  More often than not they have incredible stories of broken homes and overcoming major obstacles.  And, as all of the guests are performers, and most are comedians, they tell a great and funny story!

The WTF podcast usually runs for about an hour and a half, which is the perfect amount of time for me to walk to pick Erin up from ballet, which is my new podcast time.  Even without Manao or Wilbur to walk, I have found a way to stay up to date with my podcasts.  I love walking to meet Erin at ballet because it has given me the opportunity to get to know the city.  The five miles between our apartment and Alvin Ailey can be walked a million different ways, and I try to walk a different way every day.  I get exercise, get to know my way around the city, people watch, and listen to my podcasts- talk about multi-tasking!  I often get caught laughing aloud to myself as I walk, but there are so many weirder people in the city than myself, I'm not too concerned.

The "Wait Wait" podcast is always funny.  "This American Life" is always serious, interesting, and sometimes disturbing.  NPR News is, well, the news.  And "WTF" is always funny and inappropriate.  But, a few weeks ago I listened to a "WTF" episode that was unlike any other.


**SPOILER ALERT**
If you want to listen to the episode before I give my two cents click here.

On the episode Marc Maron spoke with Todd Glass.


It was Todd Glass' second time on the show, and he had asked Marc Maron if he could come on to discuss something important.  On January 16th Glass went on the show to tell the world that he is gay.

Listening to Glass discuss why he kept his homosexuality a secret for so many years, and why this is the perfect time to come out, is fascinating, and moving.  Since listening to this episode, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.  I really love it.

Before you listen, I must warn you, there is foul language.  But, I think it is a great podcast, and if you can get past the swear words, you might really enjoy it.  You can listen to the episode here.  

2 comments:

  1. YES. listened to the entire thing. Loved it. I want all my friends to listen to it! thanks for the link:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to listen to the link. What a sweet wet dog picture of Manao:)!!

    ReplyDelete