Thursday, September 15, 2011

25 by 25

25 by 25

Nearly a week after I returned to Khon Kaen, a friend of mine passed away.  She wasn't one of my very close friends, but someone that meant quite a bit to me.  She was a counselor at the camp I went to, and the camp that Chip still goes to, Camp Woodstock.

She was three years older than me, and I first met her when she was a counselor and I was still a camper.  She was the person I wanted to be.  But first, I just wanted to be in her cabin!  I was never in her cabin, but I was able to work with her when we were both counselors, and later, she was waterfront director.  She was everything I wanted to be in three years.  She was hilarious and adored by the campers and counselors alike.  She was athletic and beautiful.  She was kind and constantly smiling and laughing.  

When I found out about her death I was at a loss for words.  I was shocked, and had no idea how to react. Over the years I got to know her younger sister, and couldn't help but think about how significantly her life would be altered.  The younger sister was one of my campers, and exactly like her.  Chip has been lucky enough to work with the younger of the two.

Then, about a week ago, Paul found out that one of his Thai friends died in a motorcycle accident.  He was very good friends with Paul and all of my Thai friends.  Paul was devastated, absolutely beside himself.  

After lots of thinking and talking, to myself and others, I am making a list.  The list will contain 25 things I want to accomplish before I turn 25.  I am making this list simply to take advantage of every day I have.  And with a little over ten months until I turn 25, I need to get cracking!

Tomorrow I will post what I have so far.  And yes, suggestions are highly encouraged.   

No comments:

Post a Comment