Monday, January 2, 2012

"It is not your year"


Happy 2012, readers!

My new year came in with a bang.  Literally.  Fireworks on Caroline Street, and champagne cork earrings, and my year was off to a great start.
Nicole and I took a pretty ridiculous trip to Crossgates Mall on the afternoon of New Year’s Eve in search of the perfect party outfits.  Basically, we were looking for sparkles and sequins.  If we couldn’t glance into a store and have sparkles catch our eye, we kept walking.  I walked away with a pair of silver shiny shorts, and Nicole purchased a sequined top.  Dealing with the crowds of women also in search of the perfect pizazz was less than ideal, but we did quite well.
We each went home and got ready separately, but thank goodness for iphones.  On more than one occasion I sent a picture message with the words “does this look okay?”  And then, “are you sure?”  By the time Nicole picked me up, I knew she would approve of my outfit.  A nice red top (my mom told me I look good in red), my sparkly shorts, black tights and a “classy” hairdo, and I was ready to go.  Oh, wait.  What earrings should I wear?  But, of course!  Garvey made me earrings for Christmas!  Yes, I rocked champagne cork earrings.  They were a bit cumbersome, but what night could be more perfect?

When we arrived to Maya’s apartment, she was just putting the finishing touches on her epic outfit.  Did you know that fake eyelashes are in?  News to me.  Maya rocked a small top hat that she perched on her head and a very gold dress.  She then informed us of her resolution: to be more fashion forward.  Let me tell you, she put me and my sparkly shorts to shame.  Her fashion forwardness is going to keep me on my a- game when it comes to style.  Or, she will just make me look very 2011.

After cameos at separate parties throughout the town, Nicole, Kareem and I headed to our final destination, Shane and Jake’s apartment, together.  We met Devin there a little before 11 pm, and spent the next 45 minutes obsessively checking the time.  Between the time checking, we had plenty of time to catch up, joke around, and have a little dance party.  Our dance party even involved a headlamp with a strobe setting.  It was awesome.  
Devin tried on Maya's fashion forward top hat.  Watch out, Devin, if you read my blog, you will be part of it.

Without a second to spare, we made it onto Caroline Street for the fireworks.  For some reason, I remember the fireworks being more impressive in the past, but maybe I’m just thinking of Kelley and David’s fireworks.  Yes, their wedding fireworks beat Saratoga New Year’s fireworks.
We spent the next few hours maneuvering through outrageous crowds, but enjoying the night.  We all ended up staying at the same apartment where the dance party had been, and we woke up to this:

As the brothers shoved the dry and brittle tree out the third story window, Jake growled “Christmas is OVER.”  And so it was.
I briefly checked all of my favorite blogs for New Year posts as we sat around the living room that was now covered in tree needles, but missing a tree.  And, sure enough, everyone had posted.  Except for me.  When Nicole and I saw Maya, I expressed my concern for my delayed New Year’s Day blogging.  Maya looked at me and said, “it is not your year.”  Darn.  Only 1 pm on January 1st, and it was already not my year.
I don’t believe it though.  There are already lots of things to look forward to.  I think this could be my year.  And yours too!
Happy new year, readers!  Here’s to a great 2012! 

No comments:

Post a Comment